Cowboys defeat Longhorns to force rematch in Big 12 Championships

The No. 22 Texas Longhorns blew a 1-0 lead in the 8th inning, after sophomore pitcher John Curtiss worked himself into a jam in relief of senior pitcher Nathan Thornhill.  Thornhill threw six innings of shutout baseball, allowing only two hits.

The Longhorns struck first in the fifth inning. Junior rightfielder Collin Shaw singled to lead off the inning and, after a sacrifice bunt by freshman first baseman Kacy Clemens, freshman third baseman Zane Gurwitz singled advancing Shaw to third. That was followed by a walk to junior second baseman Brooks Marlow to load the bases. Sophomore leftfielder Ben Johnson drove in Texas’ only run with a sharp single to the shortstop with the bases loaded.

Senior centerfielder Mark Payton walked in the first inning to reach base for a Big 12 record 94th consecutive game. But Payton was unable to capitalize with the bases loaded in the fifth, grounding into an inning ending double play.

The Cowboys answered with three in the bottom of the eighth thanks to five hits.

Texas falls to 32-2 on the season when leading after seven innings.

The Longhorns are currently playing Oklahoma State to decide who will move on to face TCU in the Championship on Sunday. The Cowboys currently lead 3-1 in the fourth inning. The game is currently under a rain delay.