Cowboys eliminate Longhorns in Big 12 Championship

No. 22 Texas’ outing in Oklahoma City ended Saturday, after the Longhorns surrendered three runs in the eighth inning  for a second consecutive game against No. 11 Oklahoma State, causing them to fall to the Pokes, 6-4.

The Longhorns fell behind 2-0 in the top of the second after a two-run home run by the Cowboys’  rightfielder Connor Costello. Texas struck back with a run in the bottom of the frame, thanks to a single by freshman third baseman Zane Gurwitz scoring sophomore shortstop CJ Hinojosa.

The Pokes put up another run with a solo home run to lead off the third and ended Texas’ half of the inning without additional damage.

There was a weather delay of two and a half hours, in the top of the fourth inning, which appeared to give Texas some momentum, as the Longhorns evened the score in the bottom of the inning on a single by senior centerfielder Mark Payton. Payton extended his Big 12 record by reaching base safely for the 95th consecutive game.

Following Payton’s hit, the Longhorns loaded the bases again with one out, but senior designated hitter Madison Carter and Hinojosa both struck out to retire the side.

The Longhorns took the lead in the bottom of the sixth as Payton came through with another RBI, but they were unable to do anything more offensively.

In the eighth, Oklahoma State took the lead back using only one hit.  The Pokes loaded the bases on a walk, being hit by a pitch,  and a sacrifice bunt leading to another walk . They scored on a single and sacrifice fly.

Texas had an opportunity to answer, down 6-4 in the ninth but didn’t take advantage. Poor base running on a Cowboys error led to Texas’ first out of the inning, and the Longhorns ended up grounding out with the potential tying run in scoring position to end the game.

In total the Longhorns left 13 men on base as they struggled to get timely hits. The Longhorns will now be forced to wait to hear about their NCAA Tournament fate.