New restaurants near campus bring more options to students

2014-08-25_best_food_lauren
Lauren Ussery

Twisted Root 

This 26th Street burger joint is committed to providing the UT community a place to go for burgers on game day, post-test celebrations and everything in between. The restaurant made its debut on campus at the end of the spring semester and has locations in North Austin and 13 other cities throughout Texas and Louisiana. According to Twisted Root manager Brent Davis, each location has its own unique theme. Davis said this new store’s “70’s theme” hopes to follow the “Keep Austin Weird” mantra.

“Everyone there is really diverse with a different personality,” Twisted Root employee Ali Lindsay said. “Every single personality comes together to make a really cool environment.”

Location:
510 W. 26th St. Ste 110
Austin, TX 78705 

Check out:
The Freshman 15 — an 8-ounce patty with cheddar cheese, a fried egg, bacon, and french fries on top.

Fat Sal’s Deli 

Based out of California, Fat Sal’s is known for its unique sandwiches and the “Big Fat Fatty challenge.” The Big Fat Fatty contains everything from chicken fingers to onion rings and costs $50, unless you finish the whole thing — in which case it’s on the house and you have your picture taken. After its recent grand opening, manager Jay Morrison said the new addition to the Drag is ready for students to return to campus. 

“[I hope] it’s the new place to be,” Morrison said. 

Location:
2604 Guadalupe St.
Austin, TX 78705

Check out:
Fat Texas BBQ — barbecue pastrami brisket, chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, crisp bacon, grilled onions, melted cheddar and mozzarella fries, mayonnaise, honey barbecue on a garlic hero.

Gourdough’s Specialty Doughnuts

Though not new to the Austin scene, the popular doughnut food truck opened a new location on campus in the Co-op Food Court. Always a popular spot for a late-night snack, Gourdough’s is known for its rich, off-the-wall doughnut combos, featuring salty options, such as the “Mother Clucker,” combining chicken strips and a fried doughnut, and sweet ones, such as the “Miss Shortcake,” with strawberries and cream cheese.

Location:
411 W. 23rd St.
Austin TX, 78705

Check out:
Mama’s Cake — a fried treat with yellow cake batter filling and chocolate fudge icing.