Longhorns lead Jayhawks, 13-0, at halftime

IMG_2980e_web
Sarah Montgomery

LAWRENCE, Kan. – Despite a sloppy first 30 minutes, the Longhorns lead the Jayhawks, 13-0 at half-time in Lawrence, Kan.

Texas fumbled a snap, turned the ball over on downs and had a three-and-out on three of its first four possessions, but managed to capitalize on good field position on a couple occasions, resulting in the half-time lead.

Sophomore quarterback Tyrone Swoopes didn’t get off to one of the hot starts he’s been accustomed too, but he avoided making any major errors in the passing game. He finished the half 10 of 18 for 108 yards and a touchdown. Swoopes also ran it into the endzone for Texas’ second score, his first rushing touchdown of the season.

Texas’ running back tandem of senior Malcolm Brown and junior Johnathan Gray failed to get any momentum going, combining for just 57 yards on 17 carries. 

Defensively, the Longhorns were solid and came up with a few timely interceptions to keep Kansas off the scoreboard.

Senior defensive back Quandre Diggs picked off Jayhawk quarterback Montell Cozart in the endzone in the first quarter and junior Duke Thomas came up with a couple key interceptions in the second quarter.

The kicking game continues to be a sore spot for Texas, as kicker Nick Rose missed an extra-point attempt and had his second quarter field goal attempt blocked.

Kansas will receive the kickoff to open the second half.