Outside the limits of ACL

0930_illo_IsabellaPalacios
Isabella Palacios

As the Austin City Limits Music Festival quickly approaches, many students cannot wait to don their flag bandanas and flower crowns in anticipation of their favorite bands. For others, mention of the festival will simply elicit an eye roll or small groan. In a city that offers a different live show every day, there are many alternatives to the crowds, the prices and the possibility of a rained-out ACL. The Daily Texan presents an unofficial guide to live music for those who are avoiding Zilker Park this weekend — or even to those who just want to see it all.

Holy Mountain

What: Holy Mountain will be hosting shows throughout the week that are worth looking into. This particular show is all ages and features an intriguing combination of indie and experimental instrumental artists as its lineup.

When: Tuesday at 9 p.m.

Where: Holy Mountain on East Seventh Street

Who: Daniel Francis Doyle, Crossrecord, Electrician, and Marcus Rubio

Cost: Free

Spider House Ballroom presents October Artist of the Month: Zettajoule

What: Spider House announces its Artist of the Month for October, Zettajoule. Spiderhouse provides an intimate venue close to campus, and, if one ends up liking Zettajoule, the group will be there every Wednesday for the rest of the month.

When: Wednesday at 9 p.m.

Where: Spider House Ballroom on Fruth and 29th streets

Who: Zettajoule, The Dialtones, and Yuma

Cost: $3

In Too Deep Tour with Ty Dolla $ign

What: Ty Dolla $ign is one of the biggest non-ACL associated names to be rolling through town this week. This all-ages show provides some rap to contrast the rock-dominated Austin music scene.

When: Thursday at 8:30 p.m.

Where: Empire Control Room and Garage on East Seventh Street

Who: Ty Dolla $ign with Lil Bibby, Joe Moses

Cost: $20

Vagina’s Fall Issue Release Party

What: This 21-and-over event celebrates the release of Vagina magazine's fall issue for 2014. On top of a mixed lineup of local and imported artists, attendees will also have access to issues of the magazine, candy and free condoms.

When: Friday at 9 p.m.

Where: Cheer Up Charlie’s on Ninth and Red River streets

Who: SoKo, Bells & Parks, Chambers, The Gents, DJ $arah Fly, Belle and Sebastian (DJ set on the outside stage)

Cost: Free

Red 7

What: Another venue to keep an eye on throughout the week, Red 7 welcomes notable Japanese punk pop trio Shonen Knife as they grace the stage alongside two local bands. This show admits all ages.

When: Friday at 9 p.m.

Where: Red 7 on East Seventh Street

Who: Shonen Knife with Sweet Talk, Wildfires

Cost: $13 online or $15 at the door

Ditch the Fest Fest

What: For those really looking to let their anti-ACL flag fly, Empire Control Room hosts its sixth “Ditch the Fest Fest” with an impressive array of more than 25 local artists to be enjoyed by all ages throughout the night. There will be a second Ditch the Fest Fest during the second weekend of ACL, on Oct. 11.

When: Saturday at 2 p.m. 

Where: Empire Control Room & Garage on East Seventh Street

Who: Tele Novella, Sip Sip, Chipper Jones, Future Death, and more       

Cost: $5

The Continental Club

What: The Continental Club opens its doors for those looking to enjoy some laid-back midday, country-inspired live music with this cover-free show. 

When: Saturday at 3 p.m.

Where: The Continental Club on South Congress

Who: Wifee and Huzz Band, Rosie Flores, Redd Volkaert

Cost: Free

Never Give Up Benefit Concert for SMA

What: An evening show with a cause, this event has a lineup of local musicians to raise funds and awareness for Spinal Muscular Atrophy. There’s no cover, but donations will go to the Gwendolyn Strong Foundation for SMA awareness. The event is for people 21 and older.

When: Sunday at 4 p.m.

Where: One-2-One Bar on South Lamar Boulevard

Who: Hannah Williams Band, Lisa Marshall Band, Meagan Tubb, Tanya Winch, and Ivory Tribes

Cost: Free 

Hotel Vegas

What: Hotel Vegas hosts a lineup of local rock groups most nights of the year. Music lovers over the age of 21 should head to this bar to end the weekend with a reminder of what the Austin music scene is really about.

When: Sunday at 9 p.m.

Where: Hotel Vegas on East Sixth Street

Who: Sweet Spirit, Absolutely Not, Dead Shakes, Girl Country Hits, and Gothic Cowgirl DJs

Cost: Free