Big 12 Notebook: Bears reach new heights

The Baylor Bears were one of only a few top ranked teams to avoid upsets, with a 28-7 win over Texas on Saturday afternoon. Sunday, the Bears were rewarded with their highest-ever ranking in the USA Today Coaches Poll. With five of the top-10 teams having been upset, Baylor was able to move up to third in the poll. Florida State holds the top spot while Auburn jumped to number two. Ole Miss and Notre Dame rounded out the top five. In the Associated Press poll, Baylor only moved up to fifth after being jumped by Mississippi State and Ole Miss, who tied for third place.

Iowa State AD upset with officials

Bad calls are an unfortunate reality in sports, but Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard apparently has had enough of the Cyclones being on the wrong end of those calls. Following Iowa State’s 37-20 loss to Oklahoma State, Pollard ripped the officials, particularly for a call late in the first half. With the game tied at six, Cowboys senior running back Desmond Roland was ruled short of the goal line on the field, but a replay review reversed the call, giving Oklahoma State a 13-6 lead.

“It’s hard to sit idle and watch ESPN, FOX and other announcers not debate — but to feel sorry for Iowa State because maybe there will be another apology for a call,” Pollard said after the game.

Iowa State was also on the short end of the stick earlier this season when the replay official failed to stop the game to review a crucial play against Kansas State. The Big 12 suspended the official and apologized to the Cyclones.

“It’s not fair to our players,” Pollard said. “They’re frustrated. And they’re frustrated with the lack of action.”

New coach, same result for Kansas

The Jayhawks might have a new coach, but it was the same result for Kansas on Saturday against West Virginia. The Jayhawks fell 33-14 in Morgantown, West Virginia, in Clint Bowen’s head coaching debut. The Kansas defense was torched for 557 total yards and the offense was held to only 176 yards of total offense. If there’s a silver lining in the loss, it’s that quarterbacks Michael Cummings and Montell Cozart both kept from throwing an interception. Things won’t get easier for Kansas as the Jayhawks welcome Oklahoma State this weekend.

Horned Frogs headline Big 12 honors

After helping No. 9 TCU pull off the school’s biggest upset since joining the Big 12 two years ago, two Horned Frogs headlined the Big 12’s weekly awards. Junior quarterback Trevone Boykin was named the Offensive Player of the Week after throwing for 318 yards and two touchdowns in the 37-33 win over the Sooners. TCU senior linebacker Paul Dawson was named the Defensive Player of the Week for his 41-yard interception return for a touchdown to win the game for TCU. Baylor junior safety Terrell Burt rounded out the awards with the Special Teams Player of the Week after returning a block field goal for a touchdown against Texas.