Longhorns, Cyclones trading touchdowns, tied at half

F63A7461_Jenna
Jenna VonHofe

Fifty-six combined points, 31 combined first downs and 578 combined yards of total offense. Just the first half shootout we all expected from Texas and Iowa State, right?

After the Longhorns and Cyclones traded touchdowns throughout the first half, the two squads went into halftime tied, 28-28, in Austin on Saturday.

Following a three-and-out forced by the Texas defense on the first possession of the game, sophomore quarterback Tyrone Swoopes took advantage of the short field. Swoopes quickly led the Longhorn offense downfield, before hitting junior receiver Marcus Johnson for a 28-yard touchdown to open the scoring.

Swoopes and co. kept their foot on the gas early on, scoring again on the second drive when junior running back Johnathan Gray plunged into the end zone from two yards out.

Despite the slow start, Iowa State answered back, getting three consecutive scores to swing the momentum and take a 21-14 lead early in the second quarter.

The teams traded touchdowns throughout the rest of the second quarter, with the biggest play of the game coming on a pick-six from former walk-on safety Dylan Haines. The sophomore intercepted Sam Richardson’s pass and took it 74 yards to the end zone for the Longhorns.