Longhorns trail Wildcats, 13-0, at halftime

Marshall Tidrick

MANHATTAN, Kansas – The Texas offense failed to produce any points in the game’s first 30 minutes against Kansas State, resulting in a 13-0 deficit at the break.

The Longhorns’ first drive was marred by two false start penalties that helped the Wildcats force a punt. Kansas State started its drive from its own 31 and drove down to the two-yard line in eight plays, but the Texas defense held its ground on the goal line to force a field goal.

Texas went three and out on its second possession, followed by a shanked punt by senior punter William Russ that only went for 12 yards. The Texas defense again held its ground, forcing another kick to only trail 6-0.

When the Longhorns finally had good field position to start the second quarter, they squandered the opportunity. After moving the ball to the Kansas State 17-yard line, a holding penalty pushed them back.

Sophomore quarterback Tyrone Swoopes underthrew senior wide receiver Jaxon Shipley on second and long, a play that could have been called pass interference. Swoopes was sacked the following play, forcing the Longhorns out of field goal range.

The Wildcats scored their first touchdown on an 85-yard drive late in the second quarter. On third and 14, quarterback Jake Waters found wide receiver Tyler Lockett for 29 yards and running back Demarcus Robinson punched it in on the following play.

The Wildcats outgained the Longhorns 146 to 92 in the first half, and have 85 passing yards compared to just 40 for Texas. Most notably, Kansas State has been called for zero penalties to Texas’ six.

The Wildcats will receive the ball to start the second half.