Big 12 Notebook: Week 10

Big12Notebook_2014-10-11_Red_River_Showdown_Shelby
    Shelby Tauber

Tech QB Webb day-to-day with leg injury

Texas Tech has dealt with a lot of injury issues this season, and that list got a little longer this week. Sophomore quarterback Davis Webb left the Red Raiders’ 82-27 loss to TCU on Saturday with a left leg injury and was seen on the sidelines with crutches. On Monday, Texas Tech head coach Kliff Kingsbury said Webb is day-to-day going into the game against Texas.

“I just heard an ankle injury,” Kingsbury said in his weekly press conference. “That’s all I know at this point.”

If Webb is unable to go, freshman Patrick Mahomes will take over the starting quarterback duties. Mahomes is 12-of-23 for 119 yards and has thrown for two touchdowns and two interceptions in place of Webb this season.

OU’s Sanchez, TCU’s Carter named Thorpe Award semifinalists

The Big 12, known primarily for its offense, picked up two semifinalists for the award given to the nation’s best defensive back Monday. Oklahoma sophomore cornerback Zack Sanchez and TCU senior safety Sam Carter were named semifinalists for the Jim Thorpe Award. Sanchez leads the Big 12 with five interceptions, including a pick-six against Texas, and is third in the country in that category. Carter has recorded 26 total tackles, two pass deflections and two interceptions this season. Finalists for the award will be named on Nov. 24, and the winner will be announced on Dec. 11.

West Virginia’s White added to Maxwell watch list

Kevin White, West Virginia senior receiver, might have had his 100-yards-per-game streak snapped Saturday against Oklahoma State, but he received some exciting news this week, being named to the Maxwell Award watch list. Despite not being on the list in the preseason, White has put up monster numbers this season with 72 receptions, 1,047 receiving yards and eight touchdowns — all of which lead the Big 12. Up until last week, White had totaled at least 100 yards in each of his first seven games this season. The Maxwell Award is given to the best player in the country. White is not on the watch list for the Biletnikoff Award, which recognizes the country’s best receiver.

Pair of Horned Frogs headline Big 12 weekly awards

TCU picked up a big win at home over Texas Tech on Saturday and was rewarded with two of its players being given the conference’s weekly awards. Junior quarterback Trevone Boykin was named the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week after throwing for a school-record seven touchdown passes and zero interceptions. Boykin finished the game with 433 passing yards, putting him third in school history for single-game total passing yardage.

Junior kicker Jaden Oberkrom joined his teammate as the conference’s Special Teams Player of the Week after hitting all four of his field goals in the win. Three of his four kicks were from 43 yards and longer. In all, Oberkrom accounted for 22 points in the game, falling just short of the team record he set in 2012 against Texas Tech with 23 points.

Dante Barnett, Kansas State junior safety, rounded out the awards, earning Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week. Barnett had four pass break ups and seven tackles in the Wildcats’ shutout win over Texas.