Oklahoma embarrasses Longhorns on Big Monday

Big Monday couldn’t have gone any worse for No. 10 Texas at home as No. 16 Oklahoma sent a loud and clear message to the rest of the Big 12 and the nation.

Wrecking Texas 70-49 on its home court, the Sooners showed they are not to be taken lightly in the Big 12. Their up-tempo offense generated 14 fast-break points, while their aggressive defense forced the Longhorns into 12 turnovers.

Junior Buddy Hield led the Sooners with 13 while TaShawn Thomas had his way with Texas in the post, carving out 12 points and 11 rebounds. The Sooners finished the evening shooting 46 percent.

While Oklahoma sent a loud message, Texas laid an egg on national television.

The offense continued to sputter, as players missed shots from in-close, mid-range and from deep. The Longhorns ended the day shooting a lousy 30 percent, even with inflation from trash time points.

The big name players didn’t show up. Sophomore guard Isaiah Taylor, who looks like just a shell of his former self, shot 4-of-13 for 9 points in his second game back. Senior Jonathan Holmes went 2-of-9. Freshman sensation Myles Turner went 2-of-9 as well. Junior Javan Felix led Texas with 13.

Possibly even more concerning for Texas than it awful shooting and inefficient offense, was that for the first time all year, their big front line was thrown around. Oklahoma outscored Texas in the paint 34 to 16 and outrebounded Texas 42-37.

The Longhorns return to action Saturday at Oklahoma State, where they look to get back on the right track.