Delayed again: Pointe on Rio managers postpone move-in day for the fourth time

2015-1-8_Pointe_Construction_Marshall
Marshall Tidrick

The Pointe on Rio apartment complex delayed its move-in day for the fourth time Wednesday, forcing would-be residents to move in five months after the originally anticipated date in mid-August. In an email sent to leaseholders, managers said the building will now open Jan. 24, four days after the beginning of  the spring semester.

In the email, Pointe managers said they are waiting to receive a certificate of occupancy because of an “inability to get sidewalks/drives poured,” most likely because of inclement weather.

Managers have postponed the move-in date three times since the projected opening date in mid-August of last year. Last week, managers moved the date to Jan. 17 for building inspection. Pointe officials repeatedly declined to comment on the delays.

Advertising junior Dito Prado, who signed a lease with Pointe last summer, said he thinks upper management has been unreliable throughout the process.

“When I signed my lease I was already pretty skeptical of whether it would be done by August,” Prado said. “It’s definitely gotten more frustrating over the past couple of months because they’re telling us that for sure this time it’s going to be done, but something happens. They don’t always tell us that move-in has been pushed back right away.”

Prado said he was told leaseholders who aim to break their contract with Pointe cannot do so without paying a $500 fine.

Would-be Pointe residents, who were provided accommodations in Dobie Center for the fall semester, will be allowed to stay another week, and leaseholders’ rents will be pro-rated from Jan. 10 until the day of move-in, according to management email. Dobie Center managers were not available for comment.

Pointe leaseholder Ross Marabella, a graduate student in the Moody College of Communication, said he would like managers to compensate future Pointe residents for the delays.

“I’d hope the people at Pointe on Rio would make an earnest effort to make up for the time and the delays,” Marabella said. “I don’t know, by making an honest effort to communicate that to us or at least provide some compensation in some way.”

In the email, Pointe officials told leaseholders the situation is unfortunate for both management and would-be residents.

“We more than appreciate your patience with us as we know this has not been an easy process for any parties involved,” Pointe officials said.