Texas track and field sets records in Kentucky and New Mexico

The Longhorns return to Austin after a successful weekend at two meets in two states.

Texas Track and Field won three races at the Rod McCravy Memorial in Kentucky, which many view as one of the premier meets of the season, hosting over 80 All-American athletes. Junior Morolake Akinosun set a meet record in the women’s 60-meters, finishing in just 7.22 seconds and improving her personal record by .01 seconds. Sophomore Kendall Baisden also set a meet record in the women’s 400-meters, finishing in 51.81 seconds — the seventh-fastest time in school history.

Sophomore Sandie Raines, a long-distance runner who transferred from Arkansas, won the women’s 3,000-meters, crossing the line at 9:21:16 — a 27-second personal improvement.

While Texas didn’t win any competitions in the throws and vaults at the Lobo Collegiate Open in New Mexico, the team did post nine new personal records this weekend. Men’s junior pole vaulter Reese Watson now ranks eighth in the nation after a second-place showing in the Lobo Collegiate Open.

While most of the team gets a rest this weekend, a few runners will head to Houston and Seattle to compete in the Howie Ryan Invitational and the University of Washington Invitational.