Valentine’s Day movie recommendations for the single and taken

harry1-1

Saturday is Valentine’s Day, and you’re either looking for a movie that will cap off the perfect romantic evening — or you’re simply trying to get through the evening. Whether you’re in a relationship or tackling the evening solo, you probably want to watch a movie. What are you going to watch? Here are our suggestions for those of you with significant others — and those without. 

For the Happy Couple

“When Harry Met Sally”

When Harry (Billy Crystal) meets Sally (Meg Ryan), they can’t stand each other. Harry says it’s impossible for men and women to have friendships because sex always gets in the way; Sally doesn’t think that’s true. Time passes, and they slowly become friends. The ending is predictable to anyone who’s ever seen a rom-com, but this movie is still an incredibly sweet flick that will leave you and your significant other feeling warm inside.

“Silver Linings Playbook”

Pat Solatano (Bradley Cooper) has been recently released from a psychiatric hospital. Determined to overcome his bipolar disorder and win back his estranged wife, Pat enters a dance competition with widow Tiffany Maxwell (Jennifer Lawrence). Pat and Tiffany grow closer as they help each other deal with their personal problems. Cooper and Lawrence have an unbeatable on-screen chemistry, and thanks to an all-star cast, “Silver Linings Playbook” is a witty, entertaining drama that will make you appreciate how much your significant other does for you.

The Unhappy Couple

“Gone Girl”

Nick (Ben Affleck) and Amy Dunne (Rosamund Pike) are trapped in the epitome of a dysfunctional marriage. Everything goes downhill when Amy disappears, and Nick becomes the primary suspect in her murder. David Fincher’s expertly crafted thriller provides excellent commentary about relationships, and Nick and Amy will teach you how not to act towards your significant other. “Gone Girl” does a good job putting things in perspective: Your relationship might be on the rocks, but it could be a whole lot worse. 

“The Shining”

Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson), a struggling writer, has been hired as the winter caretaker of the Overlook Hotel. After he and his family settle in, the supernatural forces in the hotel turn him into a crazed axe murderer. His wife Wendy (Shelley Duvall) fends him off and protects their son. “The Shining” is a masterwork of horror. By the end, you and your significant other will clutch each other tightly. Heck, you might even get a little frisky.

The Happy Singles

“Die Hard With a Vengeance”

Bruce Willis returns as John McClane in the third “Die Hard” film. This time, he’s facing off against Simon Gruber (Jeremy Irons), a formidable thief who plans to steal gold from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Thankfully, McClane has got a friend to watch his back — Zeus (Samuel L. Jackson), a Harlem shop owner who ends up becoming his sidekick. If you’re just looking for a good time with your bros, the fast-paced “Die Hard 3” will satisfy with bullets, explosions and guts.

“You’re Next”

Meeting potential in-laws can be a pain. For Erin (Sharni Vinson), the stress dials up to 10 when masked murderers interrupt her fiancé’s family dinner. Her fiancé bails, so it’s up to her to defeat the bad guys. Plot twist: She’s a surprisingly competent badass. Who says a girl needs a man? If you’re a happily single lady, “You’re Next” does everything in its power to validate your choices.

The Unhappy Singles 

“(500) Days of Summer”

Marc Webb’s quirky comedy focuses on greeting card writer Tom Hansen (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), who laments his failed relationship with his boss’ assistant, Summer Finn (Zooey Deschanel). In spite of its depressing subject, you’ll identify with Tom and his struggle to find happiness. When “(500) Days” ends, you’ll be a lot more hopeful for the future knowing that there’s someone out there for you. 

“Easy A”

Emma Stone charms as Olive, a high school girl who pretends to have sex with guys at school to make them more popular — even though she’s never actually done the deed herself. When her classmates start to ostracize her for sleeping with so many people, she realizes she has to tell them the truth. But the stories of her sexual escapades spread like wild fire, and it might be too late to stop them. For singles, “Easy A” imparts lessons about being yourself and valuing your friends. In time, you’ll find that special someone.