McRaven announces committee to examine Kroll admissions report

2012-05-02_Admiral_William_McRaven_Rebeca
Rebeca Rodriguez

U.S. Navy Admiral William H. McRaven, who led the mission that killed Osama bin Laden in 2011, pictured here at the Champions of Justice Gala Benefitting Veterans in May 2012.

UT System Chancellor William McRaven announced the formation of a committee to examine the recommendations made by Kroll Associates in response to the recent investigation into admissions at UT.

The report, released at the UT System Board of Regents meeting Thursday, found that, while no legitimate rules were broken, the University could be compelled to take action to improve the admissions process for UT colleges.

McRaven said he wants the committee to review the recommendations from the report as well as reconsider a review done last year that was compiled by former chancellor Francisco Cigarroa. Committee members include former University presidents and chancellors and a current vice chancellor.

“My goal is to ensure full and open transparency to the public with respect to how admissions decisions are made at UT Austin,” McRaven said. “I realize that admissions practices are complicated and nuanced processes, but we must clearly define a policy that determines the degree of appropriate discretion at the institution level, while ensuring a fair and transparent process for applicants.”

See earlier coverage of the report and to read the report in full here.