Five places to hammock, slackline on campus

2014-08-27_hammocking_club_lauren
Lauren Ussery

When winter in Texas brings about unseasonably warm afternoons, students often unfurl their hammocks and roll open their slacklines. With its abundance of trees, campus contains several ideal nooks where the “outdoorsy-type” — or even just the lazy type — can study, sleep or improve their balance. Students don’t have to leave campus and go to Pease Park or Zilker to enjoy a day outdoors. 

The more athletically-inclined individuals can set up slacklines between two anchor points, such as trees, to practice balancing. Or, with an Eno or other type of hammock at hand, students can study while simultaneously becoming “one with nature.” Students with a habit of falling asleep in public places, however, should avoid passing out through the evening because campus security does not allow overnight hammocking. 

Here are The Daily Texan’s five best places for hammocking and slacklining on campus:

Charlotte Carpenter | Daily Texan Staff

The Honors Quad

Don’t be turned away by the reputation of pretention and intellect. Several welcoming trees sit behind the iron gates of the Honors Quad. Hang up your hammock under some shady oaks and enjoy the calming, classic feel that the 1940s dormitories provide. It’s also conveniently located next to Littlefield Patio Cafe, so you can grab a grilled chicken wrap to supplement your lazy afternoon. Four buildings enclose the area, so if you’re an amateur slackliner and want to test your skills, you don’t have to worry about embarrassing yourself in front of too many people.

Charlotte Carpenter | Daily Texan Staff

Geosciences building

The trees outside the Jackson School of Geosciences building and in the East Mall area provide another ideal “hangout.” You can fall into the welcoming embrace of suspended nylon while listening to the sound of flowing water from the nearby fountain. It’s rumored that the albino squirrel inhabits this area and could grace you with its presence. So, if you’re studying for a test and need some luck, this is the place to be. 

Brazos Garage area

Chris Foxx | Daily Texan Staff

Several sturdy trees stand across from the Brazos Parking Garage. Away from the hustle of students as they move from class to class, you can hang in peace or slackline here without the gawks from curious passersby. The leaf-covered grass will cushion the fall if you lose your balance or turn too abruptly and fall out of your hammock.  

Chris Foxx | Daily Texan Staff

San Jacinto amphitheater/bridge

The area around the amphitheater and bridge behind San Jacinto dorm is another secluded spot for outdoorsy folk. Rows of trees surround the area, making you feel as if you’re in the woods rather than on a campus fit for 50,000 people. The trees are more compact in this area, so make sure you really know what you’re doing if you plan on slacklining. Hardcore hammock-ers should also watch out for any protruding twigs that could puncture the hammock material or any body parts. 

Xintong Guo | Daily Texan Staff

Benedict Hall

Tucked away in the Six Pack, the courtyard-like area to the left of Benedict Hall contains a few hammock- and slackline-ready trees. You can relax or practice balancing while surrounded by ivy-covered pillars. The area provides a fairytale-esque experience, where you can lose yourself in the depths of a good book and a snug hammock.