Sen. Van de Putte retires from Senate, plans to run for Mayor of San Antonio

vandeputte040
Pu Ying Huang

State Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, D-San Antonio and lieutenant governor candidate, talked about her goals to reform educational policy, veteran services and other issues at a primary election party at Mi Tierra Cafe and Panaderia in San Antonio on Tuesday night.

State Sen. Leticia Van de Putte (D-San Antonio) stepped down Friday after 24 years in the senate.

Van de Putte announced she would leave the Capitol in January, after loosing the race for lieutenant governor to Dan Patrick in November. The now former San Antonio senator said she plans to run for mayor of San Antonio.

In an emotional farewell on the Senate floor, Van de Putte thanked members of the legislature, their staffs and the press for their work at the Capitol.  

“We are all so very blessed to be part of a legacy blazed long ago in this most deliberative body,” Van de Putte said. “The Texas Senate is a place where you work hard, and you work hard to find common ground despite the political differences.”

In the speech, Van de Putte said her stay as senator would not have been possible without her constituents.

“I thank my fellow San Antonians for allowing me the privilege and the honor of being their voice here at the state Capitol for almost a quarter of a century,” Van de Putte said.

Senator elect José Menéndez (D-San Antonio) will succeed Van de Putte. His swearing-in will take place next Wednesday.