Weekend recaps: Track and field, men’s golf, women’s tennis

ONLINE_2014-03-28_Texas_relays_Lauren
Lauren Ussery

Track and field

Over the weekend, Texas men’s and women’s track and field claimed both titles in the Big 12 Championships for the first time since 2006.             

In the women’s event, the Longhorns sat in second place by 7.5 points coming down to the ending events. With five runners in the 200 meters, Texas claimed three top-five spots and sixth- and eighth-places to pick up 21 points. From there, the Longhorns took the lead from Kansas State and finished just over three seconds ahead of the Wildcats in the 4×400-meter relay to seal their Big 12 title.

On the men’s side in Ames, Iowa, Texas outperformed the competition by more than 40 points, as it collected 140 points over the event. Sophomore Senoj-Jay Givans continued his impressive season, edging out the two best 60-meter runners in the nation by .003 seconds after official review. Givans’ time of 6.585 qualifies him for the NCAA Championships, where he will be joined by junior thrower Ryan Crouser, who improved on his nation-leading mark with a shot put throw of 21.14 meters (69-4.25). 

The Longhorns’ indoor season now comes to an end, except for individuals who qualified for the NCAA Championships in Fayetteville, Arkansas, in two weeks.

Men's golf

For the second time this season, Texas golf returns from Florida with a victory.

Sophomore Beau Hossler and the Longhorns traveled to Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, this weekend for the Johnny Hayt Collegiate Invitational, where the sophomore earned his first career win and led the team to its second victory of the 2015 season in as many contests.

Hossler shot a 4-under-par 212 (76-77-70) over the three-day tournament, finishing five strokes ahead of the runner up, This is his first time finishing in the top five this season and third time overall.

Senior Kramer Hickok recorded the Longhorns’ other top-10 finish, shooting 4-over par to land in seventh place. 

Rounding out the team were freshmen Scottie Scheffler, Doug Ghim and Taylor Funk, and sophomore Gavin Hall, who contributed to Texas’ 8-over par first place finish.

Next up, Longhorns head to the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters in Las Vegas, Nevada from March 9–11.

Women's tennis

Texas women’s tennis’ road struggles continued over the weekend.

Women’s tennis head coach Danielle McNamara returned to her alma mater Michigan — this time as coach — but couldn’t bring back the win for the Longhorns.

The Wolverines took an early lead Friday, sweeping the doubles points as Michigan senior Emina Bektas and freshman Alex Najarian defeated Texas freshman Dani Wagland and senior Lina Padegimaite, 6–0, in first doubles. Michigan junior Ronit Yurovsky and senior Sarah Lee locked in the victory when they defeated Texas junior Lana Groenvynck and sophomore Neda Koprcina, 6–0.

Michigan didn’t hold back going into singles and swept the first three matches, leaving Texas’ score still at zero (4–0). In fourth singles, Texas’ only score came when Padegimaite pushed Michigan freshman Mira Ruder-Hook into a third set and claimed the victory, 6–2, 5–7, 1–0.

Texas forfeited the last two singles matches to drop the match, 6–1.

On Sunday, Texas tried to redeem their loss to the Wolverines but fell to Northwestern, 6–1.

Northwestern easily routed Texas to take the doubles points and continued to win singles up until the fifth match, when Groenvynck defeated Northwestern Rheeya Doshi, 6–4, 6–4.