Women’s basketball sees winning streak comes to an end against West Virginia

online2015-02-26_Womens_Basketball_VS_OSU_Marshall
Marshall Tidrick

For nearly 38 minutes Sunday, Texas led West Virginia. The Longhorns had a 14-point margin with seven minutes remaining in the second half — and then quickly saw their command of the game vanish.

West Virginia converted 7-of-11 shots in the final seven minutes of the second half to force the game into overtime. In overtime, the Mountaineers captured its first lead since the opening minutes and scored 15 points to push West Virginia to a 76–69 victory.

“I thought it got away from us in several ways,” Texas head coach Karen Aston said. “We missed some critical free throws that could have separated us. We couldn’t find any flow.”

Missed shots and turnovers played a critical role in Texas’ blown lead. For the first 36 minutes, Texas shot 50 percent from the field, but the Longhorns went 2-for-11 in the remaining nine minutes of the game, including overtime. The team had a total of 17 turnovers.

The defeat snaps Texas’ (19–9, 8–9 Big 12) four-game win streak, its longest since starting the season 13—0. This was the first overtime game for Texas since late January, which was a double overtime victory against rival Oklahoma.

In all the areas where Texas did well, the Mountaineers found just as much success. Texas had four players surpass the double-digit mark, as did West Virginia. But West Virginia made the most of its chances in the paint, scoring 32 points. Texas shot 71 percent from the charity stripe, but West Virginia made 21 of its 24 free-throw chances.

Junior center Imani McGee-Stafford came off the bench to pick up a double-double with 19 points and 12 boards.

Texas dropped to sixth place in the Big 12 with one game remaining in the regular season. The team will look to bounce back quickly for Senior Night at 7 p.m. Tuesday against TCU.