Rep. Molly White files bill to allow business owners to refuse service based on religion

2014-11-25_Legislative_Session_Stephaie
Stephanie Tacy

State Rep. Molly White (R-Belton) filed a bill that, if passed, would allow private business owners to refuse business to people based on the owner's religion or on “conscientious grounds.” 

HB 2553, filed Friday, would edit the Texas Business and Commerce code, and, if passed, would prevent private business owners from being compelled to provide goods and services that are “in violation of that business owner’s sincerely held religious or personal beliefs.” It would also remove owner liability for refusing goods or services based on religious beliefs or conscientious grounds.

On Jan. 29, Texas Muslim Capitol Day, White posted a controversial Facebook status asking Muslim visitors to publicly pledge allegiance to the United States.

“I did leave an Israeli flag on the reception desk in my office with instructions to staff to ask representatives from the Muslim community to renounce Islamic terrorist groups and publicly announce allegiance to America and our laws,” White wrote in a public Facebook post. “We will see how long they stay in my office.”