Texas women’s golf scores a second-place finish at the UNF Collegiate

Because of strong team play and fair weather, the Texas women’s golf team grabbed a second-place finish this Tuesday with a three-round team score of 900 (+36) at the UNF Collegiate in Jacksonville, Florida.

For the second event in a row, and the fifth time this season, senior Bertine Strauss led the Longhorns in scoring, shooting a 74 (+2) in the final round and finishing with an overall score of 218 (+2). For Strauss, the 65th-ranked player in the nation, the performance at the UNF Collegiate was good for a second-place tie.

Among the other participating Longhorns, sophomore Anne Hakula shot well, finishing with an overall score 226 (+10) in a tie for 12th place. Hakula shot a second-round score of 72, which met par and was her personal-best score for a round this season. Sophomore Julia Beck finished a stroke behind Hakula in a tie for 15th place with an overall score of 227 (+11).

To round out the Longhorns’ participation at the event, junior Teriza Abe and junior Natalie Karcher finished with the same overall score of 234 (+18), which was good for a 35th-place tie.

Despite the strong play and three straight 300 (+12) scored rounds, the Longhorns did not do enough to surpass the tournament winner, Houston, which posted an overall score of 885 (+21).

The Longhorns’ next event is the Texas-Hawaii Classic on March 21st at the Kapalua G. C. Bay Course in Kapalua, Hawaii.