Weekend preview: Women’s tennis

2014-02-15_Tennis_Sarah
Sarah Montgomery

After facing tough opponents back-to-back all season, Texas women’s tennis might get their first break this weekend.

Texas defeated its only unranked opponent this season, Yale, early last week 4–0 and will travel north to try and continue that success against Iowa State and West Virginia.

No. 32 Texas is 2–2 in conference play, including a significant win in the Big 12 kick-starter game against then-No. 23 Oklahoma. The Sooners are the only team that Texas has defeated on the road so far this season.

Friday, the Horns will travel to Iowa to face the Cyclones, who are also 2–2 in the conference. Iowa State is coming off a hard-fought win (4–3) against Kansas State and has multiple conference victories for the first time in four years.

Iowa State junior Alejandra Galvis is 10–2 in dual singles matches this season, including a current seven-game win streak that she’ll look to continue against Texas. Galvis will most likely face-off against Texas junior No. 47 Breaunna Addison, who is 3–2 at No. 1 in singles.

Sunday morning, the Horns will play the Mountaineers in West Virginia. The two teams have met twice before, and both meetings ended in victory for Texas. West Virginia is 0–3 against Big 12 opponents so far this season, including a loss to Iowa State.