Five Easter services to check out in Austin

0331_Illo_AlbertLee
Albert Lee

Whether you’re looking for a close-to-campus Easter service or one located at a historical Austin park and museum, these different locations and ministries offer a variety of options to mix up the holiday.

Central Presbyterian Church

200 E. 8th St., Austin, TX 78701

Central Presbyterian Church celebrates being a “deliberately diverse and fully inclusive” congregation and has held services in Austin for more than 175 years. The church doubles as a South By Southwest venue, featuring acts such as Fiona Apple’s 2012 performance. Central Presbyterian will host sunrise services at Zilker Park in the Zilker clubhouse. Directions to the clubhouse can be found on their website. A breakfast follows at 9 a.m. in Smoot Hall located on the church’s grounds at Eighth Street and Brazos.

Unity Church of Hills

9905 Anderson Mill Rd., Austin, TX 78750

The Unity Church of Hills will offer a sunrise service, “The Son Is Rising in Me Today,” at 6:45 a.m. in United Oaks Pavilion with a pancake breakfast following at 7:30 a.m. The ministry at The Unity Church of Hills believes that in silence, people can deepen their awareness with God, according to their website. After services they practice a 10-15 minute silent meditation. Details about services can be found here.

Bella Eden Church (at Spider House Cafe)

2908 Fruth St., Austin, TX 78705

Bella Eden Church will host a “Love Feast” at 1 p.m. at the outside venue of Spider House Cafe. Those in attendance can enjoy free food, coffee and live music while worshipping and in the company of others. Rumor has it that Black’s BBQ will be supplying lunch. Bella Eden celebrates Jesus by promoting His love and grace through community, according to Crystaline Lopez, co-founder of the church. Check out our feature on the church here.

University United Methodist Church

2409 Guadalupe St., Austin, TX 78705

For students looking for services close to campus, the University United Methodist Church is located off Guadalupe near 24th Street and will hold services at 8:30 a.m. in the sanctuary. Late-risers can enjoy an 11 a.m. service.

Pioneer Farm with Holy Word Lutheran Church

10621 Pioneer Farms Drive, Austin, TX 78754

Pioneer Farm offers visitors a taste of historical Austin through five themed cities, which offer glimpses into Texas history from the 1800s. For Easter, Pioneer Farms partners with Holy Word Lutheran Church to hold a sunrise service at 7 a.m. that features live music, an empty tomb and a cross made of flowers. A breakfast will be served following the service.

“Outdoor services like this one were once popular in this part of Central Texas during the 1800s, when congregations celebrated Easter at sunrise rather than the regular church time,” according to their website. “Then spent a day of fellowship, faith and community together over a meal and with activities for children.”