Four concerts to check out this April

Sold out — two words a concertgoer dreads most. With bands coming in and out of Austin all the time, it’s hard to keep track of shows. Without realizing it, you can even miss your favorite band. Here are four concerts to check out this month to save you from the sadness of missing out.

Hozier

After Hozier had to cancel his performance at Austin City Limits Music Festival last year, his fans will have another chance to see him when he returns to Austin. For those who only know “Take Me to Church,” the rest of Hozier’s self-titled album might come as a shock.

Despite juggling different styles, such as folk, blues and pop, the album remains cohesive but still displays Hozier’s versatility as an artist. There’s no doubt he’ll keep things interesting for concertgoers by transitioning between upbeat crowd-pleasers, such as “Jackie and Wilson,” to more thoughtful songs, such as “Like Real People Do.”

Where: Austin Music Hall

When: April 21, 7 p.m.

Click here to go to the ticket webiste. 

The Ting Tings

If you’re in the mood for a high school throwback, this is the concert for you. The Tings Tings, a British duo, became famous in 2009 for their song “That’s Not My Name,” and with the release of their third album, Super Critical, they’ve evolved into a more mature band. On this album, lead singer Katie White trades out her bubblegum-pop voice for a funkier, more grown-up sound.

With songs such as “Only Love” and “Wrong Club,” the band hasn’t lost its ability to make fans sing along in a matter of seconds.

Where: Emo’s

When: April 22, 8 p.m.

Click here to go to the ticket website.  

Matt and Kim

On its fifth album, New Glow, this pop duo branches out into a different style. Fans know the band for its simplistic, do-it-yourself approach to music, and that hasn’t lost in its lyrics. In terms of the sound, the band is more electronic and dance-heavy than simplistic.

Songs such as “Can You Blame Me” and “Hey Now” will feel more familiar to the fans who have been around since day one, whereas “Hoodie On” might attract new fans. Either way, Matt and Kim fans know they’ll put on a show that will get everyone dancing.

Where: Stubb’s

When: April 23, 7 p.m.

Click here to go to the ticket website. 

The Kooks

For those who love musicians such as Bob Dylan and The Beatles, The Kooks have always been solid knock-offs. While ’60s rockers remain huge influences for the band, their fourth album, Listen, is more independent than their previous work.

While still be recognizable to fans, the band presents more energy on this album than ever before. Jazzy guitar riffs and bluesy vocals mark uncharted territory for the band, but first-time listeners would never have guessed based off its seamless transition. 

Two songs you’ll definitely want to check out before the show are “Bad Habit” and “Around Town,” which showcase the band’s change in style.

Where: Emo’s

When: April 28, 7 p.m.

Click here to go to the ticket website.