Murder, revolution, and clones: 5 TV premieres to look check out in April

TVPREMIERE_0408_illo_LindsayRojas451
Lex Rojas

Autumn might be the traditional premiere season for the major networks shows, but television programmers are increasingly springing to April to debut new series. Although the premieres for critical darlings such as “Mad Men” and “Game of Thrones” are dominating entertainment news headlines, there are a plethora of other shows worth checking out this month. Here are our recommendations.

Daredevil

The Netflix-exclusive “Daredevil” follows the adventures of Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox), a blind lawyer who moonlights as the vigilante crime-fighting Daredevil. Marvel Studios created “Daredevil” as the first in a series of four superhero shows that will be released biannually, building up to an Avengers-style crossover show called “The Defenders.” Netflix will release all of the “Daredevil” episodes at once, and if you’re jonesing for a superhero fix, this series will tide you over before Avengers: Age of Ultron is widely released in May.

•  
  • Series premiere date: April 10
  • Network: Netflix

Turn: Washington’s Spies

The first season of AMC’s Revolutionary War drama “Turn: Washington’s Spies” debuted last year to accompany the network’s more acclaimed period piece, “Mad Men.” “Turn” tells the story of Abe Woodhull (Jamie Bell), a leading member of the Culper Spy Ring — a Revolutionary War operation that funneled information about the British Army to George Washington.

AMC aimed to combine the historical allure of “Mad Men” with the genre thrills of zombie hit “The Walking Dead,” but the show’s first season combined colonial history and spy intrigue with limited results. AMC hopes to revitalize the show in its second season, introducing new historical figures, such as Benedict Arnold, and offering more action sequences.

•  
  • Season 2 premiere date: April 13
  • Network: AMC

The Messengers

The CW network has a long history of producing shows about pretty people dealing with the supernatural — look no further than “The Vampire Diaries” and “Supernatural” for proof. They also have a knack for post-apocalyptic dramas, such as “The 100.” “The Messengers” falls neatly under both categories. In this supernatural, apocalyptic drama, a group of five strangers die and subsequently come back as angel-like beings meant to save the world from the biblical rapture. “The Messengers,” like most of the CW’s current line-up of shows, isn’t different in tone from the network’s trademark young-adult fare. But the CW’s recent genre shows have been surprisingly thoughtful and well-written, so consider giving “The Messengers” a shot.

•  
  • Series premiere date: April 17
  • Network: The CW

Orphan Black

BBC America’s sci-fi drama Orphan Black has slowly but surely gained fans and critical recognition. The cult hit began by following Sarah Manning (Tatiana Maslany), a young street criminal who discovers that she is one of many genetically identical clones. Over two seasons, the series has grown to accommodate a large cast of characters, who struggle with real-world problems even as various corporations and cults fight to control the clones’ lives.  The series regularly grapples with fundamental questions of identity and ownership.

Come for the twisty sci-fi plotting, stay for Maslany’s impressive performance as she plays an ever-rising number of clone “sisters.”

•  
  • Season 3 premiere date: April 18
  • Network: BBC America

The Casual Vacancy

Although there aren’t any wizards or magic spells in “The Casual Vacancy,” the mini-series adapted from J.K. Rowling’s novel of the same name, there is still more than enough intrigue and drama to go around. The mini-series focuses on a contemporary small town in England rocked by the death of an elected official. It stitches together stories about characters ranging from politicians to drug addicts, addressing themes such as class warfare and social politics.

•  
  • Series premiere date: April 29
  • Network: HBO

What are you watching this month? Send us your recommendations at @thedailytexan.