Longhorns complete sweep for second-straight match

2015-01-25_Mens_Tennis_Daulton
Daulton Venglar

Texas swept its opponent Wednesday for the second time in as many matches, defeating No. 53 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, 4–0. The No. 9 Longhorns came into the match on the heels of a 4–0 victory over unranked UTSA, highlighted by a strong performance by junior Nick Naumann, who won both his singles and doubles matches in straight sets.

Wednesday’s match featured a different lineup for the Longhorns, as No. 44 senior Lloyd Glasspool replaced senior Søren Hess–Olesen at the No. 1 singles spot. Coming into the match, Hess–Olesen was looking to reach his 100th win at the singles position for the Longhorns, but head coach Michael Center benched him in order to give him some rest before the high-profile match against No. 2 Baylor next Wednesday.

The Longhorns got off to a hot start once again Wednesday, winning both doubles lines in straight sets. The team of Naumann and junior Michael Riechmann finished first for Texas, winning at the No. 3 doubles by a score of 6–3. The pair of senior Adrien Berkowicz and sophomore George Goldhoff followed with a victory at the No. 2 doubles line with a score of 6–2.

Texas’ dominance continued at the singles position, as the team rallied off three consecutive victories, all in straight sets. The underclassmen on the Longhorns’ roster shined at the singles positions, as Goldhoff claimed victory at the No. 3 singles line with a score of 6–2, 6–1, and freshman John Mee won at the No. 6 singles line with the same score. Mee’s victory was the fourth — second against a ranked team — in his past five singles matches.

The match was the Longhorns’ last nonconference competition of the season. Texas finished the season with a 16–2 record against nonconference opponents and was 5–2 against nonconference opponents ranked in the top 20 of the ITA rankings.

The Longhorns have two matches left in their season before the Big 12 Men’s Tennis Championship, which takes place April 24–26 in Waco. Both matches will be against Big 12 opponents, starting with a battle of two of the conference’s best teams. Texas concludes its home schedule against Baylor next Wednesday at the Caswell Tennis Center in Austin.