Sophomore guard Nekia Jones to transfer

Sophomore women's basketball guard Nekia Jones has decided to transfer after completing the spring semester, Texas officials announced Friday.

Jones averaged nearly six points in 43 total games during her career with the Longhorns. She provided a spark coming off the bench, especially behind the arc with a 41.8 3-point percentage.

“I want to thank The University of Texas family and fans for all the moments and memories we have shared here,” Jones said in a statement. “I consider myself fortunate to have met so many new people who have impacted my life."  

This season, Jones hit half the field goals she attempted, going 39-for-78 but missed the final 14 games because of injury.

The former 2013 McDonald’s All-American nominee graduated from Ozen High School in Beaumont started with the Longhorns in fall 2013. During her freshman year at Texas, Jones was also the top shot-put thrower for the Texas track and field team. She placed ninth at the Big 12 Championships with a personal best distance of 14.59 meters.

“I wish the future Longhorns nothing but the best,” Jones said. “My motto is ‘live without regrets.’ I don't regret anything. I believe everything happens for a reason. As my journey continues, I will always be a Longhorn for life."

It is unknown at this time where or why Jones will transfer.