Texas back to square one against Prairie View A&M

2015-04-21_Baseball_Vs_Texas_State_Joshua

After a sweep from No. 7 TCU this weekend, Texas is back to square one.

The Longhorns, who entered the season with high expectations and a roster full of returning talent, now sit at .500.

Texas came into the series with high hopes after two dominating performances against Kansas and Texas State. But after the Horned Frogs swept the Longhorns, they’re once again trying to regroup after suffering their 22nd loss of the season.

Despite the up-and-down season, the players still believe they can rally and make a run toward the postseason.

“We have the players to be one of the best teams in the country,” sophomore catcher Tres Barrera said. “But if you look as good as you want on paper, you got to come out here, and get it done. We’re playing hard. We’re fighting. We’re just not executing.”

Texas (22–22, 8–10 Big 12) will have a chance to gather itself against Prairie View A&M (14–31, 4–17 SWAC). The Panthers defeated Alcorn State, 10–7, Sunday and are coming off their first conference series win since Feb. 28.

The Longhorns and Panthers square off at UFCU Disch-Falk Field at 6 p.m. on Longhorn Network.

The Longhorns hope to find a break at home as they look to rebound from a tough weekend. 

Texas head coach Augie Garrido said the key to fixing the team’s issues is all in its execution.

“We’ve got to win with we we’ve got,” Garrido said. “I think we can win with what we’ve got. We just have to execute.”

He added that the team badly wants to get better.

“As bad as we’ve been beaten up during the course of this season, not only injury-wise but also mentally, with the losses that have accumulated, they still want to get that done,” Garrido said. “Their spirit is not broken. They’re still competitive.”

At .500, Texas will have to keep fighting through the rest of the season to make it to the postseason. 

“It’s just [about] battling right now,” senior second baseman Brooks Marlow said. “Coach [Garrido] talks about being mentally tough all the time. That’s what this team’s got. We just got to be ready to play tomorrow and put this behind us."