Longhorns’ game against DBU postponed because of field conditions

2015-05-30_Baseball_Cancel_Daulton
Daulton Venglar

DALLAS — The Longhorns’ shot to avoid elimination will have to wait another day after both games of the Dallas Regional were pushed to Sunday because of poor field conditions.

A round of thunderstorms rolled through the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex around 6 a.m. Saturday, dumping about an inch of rain on an already saturated field. Crews worked to get the field into playing conditions, but the water proved too much.

“We obviously wanted to get the games in but, knowing the rain we got this morning, was going to be tough,” said Butch Hug, the NCAA site representative.

Texas’ elimination game against host Dallas Baptist will now take place at noon Sunday, and the winner’s bracket game between Oregon State and VCU will follow at 4 p.m. The winner of the first game will face the loser of the second game at 8 p.m. The regional final will be played Monday.

Saturday’s postponement comes after the Longhorns faced Oregon State on Friday with a wet and sloppy outfield. That game was pushed back an hour as crews, which a helicopter aided, worked to dry the field.

The weather forecast looks better for the next two days. The Weather Channel is calling for mostly sunny skies and a high of 81 degrees Sunday.

“Our intentions, since we were able to get back on [the field] at 10 [a.m.], was to prepare the field for tomorrow,” Hug said.

There are no plans to move the regional to another site because of the field conditions.