Four Beats 1 radio shows to tune into

beats
Courtesy of Apple Music

In the race to become the best streaming service, Apple Music has set itself apart with its most traditional feature — radio. Beats 1 radio, a free 24-hour radio station, leaves music choices up to disc jockeys and musicians, such as Elton John and Dr. Dre.

With these shows, fans can connect with their favorite artists through their music recommendations. Check out these four artist-hosted radio shows.

St. Vincent’s Mixtape Delivery Service

Whether you’re in need of some dance party music or the quintessential road trip soundtrack, St. Vincent has you covered. Anyone can submit a request for a mixtape by letting St. Vincent’s Annie Clark know what’s going on in their lives.

Each week, a mixtape recipient is selected, and Clark calls them up, getting to know them as they procure the perfect playlist. Clark’s conversations with the recipients are genuine, bringing the eccentric singer back down to earth. Even if your mixtape request isn’t chosen, her playlists’ diversity avoids alienating listeners and suit a variety of occasions.

Pharrell Williams and Steve Venner’s OTHERtone

Surprise guests Cara Delevingne and Justin Timberlake kicked off OTHERtone by beatboxing. Part jam session, part discussion, William’s said the radio show exposes people to music they might not hear anywhere else. Following through on his promise, the show debuted Jamie Woon's “Sharpness.” Throughout the show, the group had in-depth conversations about the music they were playing, offering insight into music production and speaking about what music means to them.

Time Crisis with Ezra Koenig

The Vampire Weekend frontman’s show has a traditional formula but provides honest and funny content. Comedians, actors and musicians are invited to discuss anything and everything.

In the first episode, Rashida Jones tells a story about Michael Jackson’s chimp, Bubbles, and comedians analyze iTunes’ top five songs. The bi-weekly show’s casual atmosphere allows fans to feel like they’ve been let in on the celebrities’ conversations. In terms of his DJ abilities, Koenig has a pension for oldies, such as Billy Joel and ABBA, but also played newer artists, such as Rihanna, and debuted a song by rapper Despot.  

The Pharmacy with Dr. Dre

Focused on West Coast music, The Pharmacy is essential for any hip-hop fans. Producer and rapper Dr. Dre hosts the show, which features a mix of old and new rap artists — from Tupac to Kendrick Lamar. The show also provides insight into Dr. Dre’s roots and inspiration, playing a tribute to the late producer J Dilla and discussing the upcoming “Straight Outta Compton” movie. Although the songs have yet to be featured on the show, Dr. Dre recently made Apple Music the first supplier of his 1992 album, The Chronic.