Kinsolving coffee shop to open this fall

2015-09-08_KinsKoffee_Jack
Jack DuFon

Kin’s Coffee, a new shop with a $475,000 price tag, will open in early November in the Kinsolving Dormitory directly across from Kin’s Market on the first floor, according to Director of Food Services Rene Rodriguez.

Like Jester Java, a coffee shop in the Jester Dormitory, Kin’s Coffee will serve Starbucks coffee and accept Bevo Bucks, Dine In Dollars and cash. It will also feature an walk-up window outside for students who are in a rush.

The Division of Housing and Food Service intends for the shop to meet a growing demand for specialty coffee on the north side of campus. Rhetoric and writing sophomore Dejanara Mangiameli, a resident assistant at Kinsolving, said she recognizes a demand for coffee in the area and anticipates the shop will attract students.

“They could not have picked a better place for a coffee shop,” Mangiameli said. “So many people from all across campus come to Kinsolving for breakfast wanting coffee, so it makes sense to build one in there.”

Rodriguez said he anticipates the shop’s construction will be a beneficial addition to Kinsolving, both functionally
and aesthetically.

“It is really going to look very nice with the outside deck and walk-up window,” Rodriguez said. “It will be a pretty addition to the front of the dorm. It will add great value to the Kinsolving Dorm and [will] be convenient, since you won’t actually have to go into the dorm to get coffee.”

Anum Aslam, Kinsolving resident and aerospace engineering freshman, enjoys the idea of having another eating option at Kinsolving.

“It sounds great,” Aslam said. “I’d love another place to get something to eat, especially since the dining hall closes so early in the evening.”

The coffee shop could cause crowding in an already congested area of the dorm, said Krissa Martin, Kinsolving resident and
mathematics freshman.

“I can see some issues with Kin’s Coffee, one being the fact that Kinsolving is already busy with the dining hall inside,” Martin said. “I can see Kinsolving being much more packed around lunchtime with its addition.”

Despite some concerns from residents, Rodriguez said he is confident students will benefit from the addition.

“Overall, it will be a nice area for students,” Rodriguez said. “Good for something on the run.”