McCombs Energy Management Program receives national accreditation

The American Association of Professional Landmen accredited the Energy Management Program in the McCombs School of Business on Sept. 2, making it one of 11 accredited petroleum land management programs in North America.

The accreditation by the association means that it will provide curriculum guidance and support for the program, in addition to over $80,000 in student scholarships annually and free association memberships to participating students, according to a statement.

“It’s exciting that the program was recognized by such an important and influential professional group,” John Butler, director of the Energy Management Program, said in a press release. “We are proud to be accredited by the American Association of Professional Landmen and look forward to working with the association to provide our students with unique opportunities.”

According to Melanie Diaz, business honors and science and technology management senior, who already achieved the EMP certificate, the program is growing and gaining a lot of recognition.

The program gives students resources to train in industry-related business, geosciences, petroleum operations and law, according to the program’s website.

“The Energy Management Program provides students with the opportunity to learn more about an industry that is a central part of the economy,” Diaz said in an email. “By taking a summer to focus on the energy specific classes, students get in depth (sic) experience in a vital industry and are provided with substantial networking opportunities.”

The Texas Energy Management Student Association, the student led organization within the EMP, is a group that benefits from the program’s accreditation.

“I think, from my understanding, accreditation will give it a basis, sort of this existence outside of just this campus,” said Yasir Masood, economics senior and TEMSA officer. “Through AAPL, the Energy Management Program and the Texas Energy Management Student Association have that much more legitimacy not only on campus but also outside of campus.”

Diaz said s the accreditation of the program doesn’t just draw in more students, but it also has weight in the business world.

“The accreditation adds credibility to the program and makes it an even bigger draw for companies looking to hire candidates into a competitive industry,” Diaz said.