Big 12 Notebook: TCU tops Texas Tech in thriller

2014-11-27_Football_vs_TCU_Ethan
Ethan Black

Horned Frogs beat Red Raiders in instant classic

Two explosive offenses squared off in Lubbock, Texas, on Saturday, and neither disappointed. Texas Tech and No. 4 TCU combined for over 100 points and 1,300 yards of offense.

Late-game drama highlighted the classic Big 12 shootout. With seconds remaining, Horned Frogs senior running back Aaron Green caught a tipped pass in the back of the end zone to lift TCU to a 55-52 victory. 

TCU’s senior quarterback Trevone Boykin totaled 485 passing yards and four touchdowns. Senior receiver Josh Doctson had a career day racking up 18 catches for 267 yards and three touchdowns.

The Horned Frogs will return home to play Texas on Saturday at 11 a.m.

West Virginia earns top 25 nod after routing Maryland

For the third-straight game, No. 23 West Virginia cruised to an easy victory with a 45-6 win over Maryland. Through three games, the Mountaineers have outscored their opponents 130-23.

West Virginia accrued over 600 yards of total offense in the victory and junior quarterback Skyler Howard threw for four touchdowns and 294 yards. The Mountaineers’ defense also shined with six forced turnovers. 

With the 3-0 start, the Mountaineers entered the top 25 for the first time this season. They face off against No. 15 Oklahoma on Saturday.

Baylor looks to stay hot in first test against Texas Tech

The No. 5 Bears can score. They’ve put up 56 points or more in each of their first three games, but they’ve yet to face a major conference team.

Baylor will get their first test as they head to Lubbock to play Texas Tech this weekend. Its No. 1 ranked offense will be challenged to sustain their high scoring prowess against the Red Raiders, who rank right behind the Bears at No. 3 in points in the nation.

Through three games, Bears junior quarterback Seth Russell leads the nation with 15 touchdowns. He also ranks in the top 10 in yardage with 331 yards per game.

Baylor and Texas Tech will kick off at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Undefeated teams to square off in week five

Conference play continues to heat up with two matchups between undefeated teams this weekend. No. 23 West Virginia will head to Oklahoma to play the No. 15 Sooners, while No. 20 Oklahoma State will host Kansas State.

The Mountaineers will try to contain Sooners junior quarterback Baker Mayfield, who ranks No. 7 in yards per game. Oklahoma opens as a seven-point favorite, according to ESPN.

Kansas State is challenged with winning in Stillwater, Oklahoma, where the Cowboys have won 12 of their last 15 home games. Unlike most other Big 12 matchups, the game may turn into a defensive battle, with both teams ranking within the conference’s top-3 scoring defenses.

West Virginia vs. Oklahoma will kick off at 11 a.m., while Kansas State vs. Oklahoma State starts at 3 p.m. Both games will air on Fox Sports 1.