Longhorns tie in scoreless match against Oklahoma State

2015-09-10_Soccer_vs_Oregon_State_Daulton
Daulton Venglar

The Longhorns ended another 110-minute competition in a tie.

Texas and Oklahoma State battled Sunday afternoon at Cowgirl Soccer Complex. Each ended with a zero on the scoreboard, adding another tie to each team’s record.

Texas booted 11 shots, but only four of them were on goal. The Cowboys fired 22 shots with only six on goal.

All six shots were saved by senior goalkeeper Abby Smith. Smith has 28 career shutouts now, and she needs two more shutouts to break former Longhorns goalkeeper Dianna Pfenninger’s record of 29.

Even though the Longhorns finished in a tie, they earned one point, which helps their placement in Big 12 conference play.

“As I mentioned on Friday night, playing an away match in our league is always very challenging,” head coach Angela Kelly said. “It is critical to collect points on the road where you can get them in Big 12 play. Now, it’s back to work and organizing to get the job done at home next weekend against Iowa State and TCU.”

The Longhorns’ best two chances to break through came 5:22 into the game and the 41:50 mark. The first chance came when freshman forward Alexa Adams shot a contorted bicycle kick 14 yards away that sailed wide right.

Smith almost scored her fourth career goal from more than 50 yards away in the second attempt. She blasted the ball from midfield, and it was on-line to give the Longhorns a 1-0 lead. However,
sophomore goalkeeper Michela Ongaro jumped and snatched the ball out of the air.

The tie was Texas’ second match of the weekend. Texas broke through Friday night against Kansas to get its first Big 12 conference win. Senior midfielder Lindsey Meyer and sophomore forward Olivia Brook both scored in the second half to clinch the game.

At the 71:29 mark, Brook netted her first goal of the season and eighth career goal off a header from Meyer. Five minutes later, Meyer used her 6-foot frame to head a ball past sophomore goalkeeper Maddie Dobyns to seal a 2-1 Texas win.

“To get a road win in this league is an exceptional feat,” Kelly said. “I’m just really proud of all our young ladies for their effort tonight.”