Defense looks to regain momentum against No. 10 Oklahoma

2015-10-03_Texas_vs_TCU_Daulton
Daulton Venglar

Defensive coordinator Vance Bedford said at his Wednesday press conference that the Longhorns have no choice but to move past their 50-7 loss to No. 2 TCU. He said all the team can do is learn from its mistakes and keep improving.

“If you live in the past, the past will come back to get you,” Bedford said. “If you learn from it, move forward, and say ‘What can we do to get things going in the right direction?’ … Let’s not make the same mistakes again.”

Bedford said Texas’ biggest key to moving forward is regaining momentum and confidence. The team’s next chance to stop its three game losing streak comes this Saturday against No. 10 Oklahoma.

“No matter what happens in life, when things are going downhill, you have to have some success,” Bedford said. “We need to have some good things happen for us.”

Texas has been slow on the recruiting trail this season. Head coach Charlie Strong and his staff have signed just eight players, and the class ranks outside the top 50, according to 247sports.

Bedford said the coaching staff is not concerned right now.

“At this time last year, we were in the same spot in recruiting and we finished strong,” Bedford said. “We finished [stronger] than anybody else in this conference and anybody else this state. We’re going to find a way to get the same thing done again.”

Bedford attributed the slow recruiting start to Texas’ “old-fashioned” recruiting strategy, which emphasizes taking more time to evaluate players. 

“You have to wait until those guys go to the All-American games,” Bedford said. “We’ll have to deal with that in January.”