Texas prepares for Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational

Texas will host the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational at the UT Golf Club on Monday and Tuesday. Teams will play 36 holes Monday and finish the last 18 holes Tuesday on the par-72 course.

Texas will face 14 teams, including three Big 12 schools: Kansas State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech. Last year, University of Nevada-Las Vegas and Tulane tied for first in the tournament, while then Baylor senior Baylor Hayley Davis won the tournament as an individual. Texas has won seven team titles and nine medals.

Teammates junior Haley Mills, sophomore Sophia Schubert, junior Julia Beck, freshman Maddie Luitwieler and senior Tezira Abe — along with individuals senior Natalie Karcher and junior Anne Hakula — will compete for Texas. The team is coming off a season-best fifth-place finish at the Jim West Invitational two weeks ago. Mills led the team at that tournament, tying for fifth place as an individual.

The Texas Invitational was renamed the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational in 1977 to honor former Longhorn Betsy Rawls. In her short time playing professionally, Rawls won 55 LPGA tour events and eight major championships. She is also one of the few LPGA tour women to have won two or more major championships in one year. She won the Women’s Western Open and LPGA Championship in 1959. Rawls was also one of the six initial inductees into the World Golf Hall of Fame and the LPGA Tour Hall of Fame in 1967. She battled breast cancer in 1999 and survived it.

Texas hopes to use its home-field advantage this week to move up the leaderboard. With several promising team members, head coach Ryan Murphy is looking forward to the tournament and the chance for his players to perform well.

This will be Texas’s third of four tournaments this semester. The tournament will run all day Monday and Tuesday.