Addison, Longhorns head to North Carolina for Kitty Harrison Invitational

ONLINEWTENNIS2014-02-15_Tennis_Sarah
Sarah Montgomery

Texas women’s tennis will compete in the Kitty Harrison Invitational in North Carolina starting Friday. Nineteen teams, including a heavy ACC presence, will play in the tournament, held at UNC’s Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center and also at Duke University.

This is the first action for head coach Howard Joffe’s Longhorns since the ITA Texas Regional Championships in late October.

Senior Breaunna Addison captured the singles title with a three-set comeback victory over Houston’s Despoina Vogasari at the regional championships, her first title in that event.

Senior Lana Groenvynck advanced to the round of 32 before falling, while sophomore Dani Wagland and freshman Chelsea Crovetti were both eliminated in the round of 64. Junior Neda Koprcina also competed, but lost in the round of 128.

Addison, a two-time All-American and former Big 12 Conference Player of the Year, will look to continue what has been a successful season thus far. The other Longhorns will aim to use their tournament experience to build on their past performances.

The Longhorns will play Michigan and Duke in doubles Friday and VCU in singles. Saturday will include a doubles matchup with LSU and singles against South Carolina. Texas will end the tournament Sunday with a singles play against Penn State. Doubles play for the Longhorns will begin promptly at 10 a.m. Friday at Duke, followed by singles play at 3 p.m.