Women’s basketball runs away with season opener, 90-53

2015-11-14_Womens_Basketball_VS_UTSA_Joshua

Texas started the 2015-2016 season with a 90-53 win over UTSA at the Frank Erwin Center on Saturday night.  

The No. 12 Longhorns improved head coach Karen Aston’s record in season openers while in Austin to 4-0.

Texas drilled three shots from three-point range in the first two minutes of the game, opening up a 9-3 lead. The Longhorns finished with 9 three-pointers on 38 percent shooting from distance.

Sophomore guard Brooke McCarty drained three shots from beyond the arc in the first five minutes of the contest. She finished with 22 points on 8-of-13 shooting from the field, including 4-of-6 from deep.

Aston said that McCarty no longer looks like a “lost freshman” on the court.

“Last year, I didn’t really know what coach wanted.” McCarty said. “I was just trying to go off of instinct. This year, I know the plays, and I know how to feed off of my teammates. That gives me more confidence.”

McCarty scored 16 points in the first half, giving Texas a 44-21 lead heading into the locker room. McCarty continued to make plays after the break.

Senior center Imani Boyette stole a Roadrunner’s pass at the top of the key and raced down the floor all alone before missing the ensuing wide-open layup.

McCarty snagged the rebound and put the ball in off the glass for her seventh made shot of the night less than two minutes into the second half.

Two possessions later, McCarty dashed down the court on a fast break of her own. She found senior guard Celina Rodrigo all alone in the corner for three, pushing the Longhorns’ lead to 54-26.

Rodrigo finished the game with 11 points on 4-of-8 from the field. All five of Texas’ starters ended with double digit scoring figures.

“We have a feel for each other, and we know where each other are going to be on the court,” Rodrigo said. “We have great chemistry, and it really showed tonight.”

The Texas starters finished their night when Aston emptied the bench with 5:55 remaining in the fourth quarter. The Longhorns held an 82-39 lead at that mark.

2,596 people were on hand to watch the Longhorns improve to 6-0 all time versus the Roadrunners, but Aston wants to see that number rise as the season progresses.

“I really do think that the word needs to spread about this team,” Aston said. “We have a chance to be really special.”

The Longhorns host Northwestern State at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Erwin Center.