Longhorns walk away with doubles title at CCB Collegiate Invitational

Texas headed to Birmingham, Alabama this weekend to compete in the CCB Collegiate Invitational. The Longhorns sent three men to compete in singles and doubles draw matches.

Sophomore Adrian Ortiz, redshirt freshman Julian Zlobinsky and redshirt sophomore William Jou competed in the singles draws.

Ortiz knocked off Middle Tennessee State freshman Ayed Zataer 6-4, 6-1. In the quarterfinals of the Crimson singles draw Ortiz held off LSU senior Tam Trinh 6-4, 6-2. In a three-set match in the semifinals Ortiz beat South Alabama sophomore Tuki Jacob 4-6, 6-4, 6-4. Ortiz advanced to the Crimson singles final round and lost 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 to Tulane junior Chi-Shan Jao.

Zlobinsky defeated University of Alabama at Birmingham sophomore Oliver Poysti in a three-set match, 4-6, 6-1, 7-5. Zlobinsky advanced to the White singles quarterfinals and lost 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 to Louisville freshman Christian Haushammer. Jou won 6-1, 1-6 against Alabama junior Hayes Brewer and moved onto the quarterfinals where he was defeated 6-1, 6-2 against Samford freshman Jake Faundez.

In doubles competition Ortiz and Zlobinsky edged Tulane junior Chi-Shan Jao and freshman Tyler Schick, 8-7 (5) in the quarterfinals. The Texas duo continued to the semifinals and beat Louisville freshmen George Hedley and Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff, 8-5. Ortiz and Zlobinksy advanced to the finals and defeated LSU sophomore Gabor Csonka and senior Tam Trinh in a tiebreaker 8-7 (4), to win the Crimson doubles draw crown.

The Longhorns will return to action in January when the regular season kicks off.