Boyette looks to hit 1,000-point mark

2015-11-14_Womens_Basketball_VS_UTSA_Joshua

Senior center Imani Boyette entered Saturday’s game against Rice just eight points short of becoming Texas’ 38th player to reach 1,000 career points.

But after picking up two early fouls, the 2014–2015 Big 12 Female Sportsperson of the Year scored her first points in the fourth quarter. Boyette ended the night with just four points and five turnovers.

“I just didn’t have a good game, period,” Boyette said.

Boyette’s second foul on Saturday came on what head coach Karen Aston called “a freak foul.” As Boyette was running up the floor, a guard stopped in front of her, causing a collision and subsequent foul. Although Aston knew it was inadvertent, she said those two early fouls are an example of what Boyette will have to work on.

“When you get that first foul quick, can you be disciplined enough to not get the second?” Aston said.

While Boyette will likely reach the 1,000-point mark against Hampton on Wednesday, she said it’ll be just another individual accolade.

“I have a lot of individual accolades, but I don’t have any championships or anything like that,” Boyette said. “So that’s not really relevant to me.”

Boyette said she hopes to play in the WNBA after this season and needs to focus on playing well. However, improving as a team is her true priority.

“At the end of the day, no one cares about teams who don’t win,” Boyette said.

Boyette grabbed four of the Longhorns’ 37 rebounds Saturday, 10 short of their season average of 47 per game. Texas has an average rebound margin of plus-19.7 on the season but only out-rebounded Rice by eight.

Aston said the team’s poor rebounding stemmed from failing to distinguish between good and bad shots.

“Our shot selection is not creating offensive opportunities on the board,” Aston said.

Aston said she hopes the Longhorns improve their shot selection and decision-making against Hampton.

“I thought that we were headed in the right direction, and then I thought we went a bit backwards, honestly, in the Rice game,” Aston said.

The Longhorns hope to earn their fourth win of the season as they square off against Hampton on Wednesday at 7 p.m. The game will be held at the Frank Erwin Center.