Sam Houston State at Texas: three things to know

2015-02-08_WBB_Baylor_Mariana
Mariana Munoz

1) Sam Houston State (4-5) travels to Austin while on a two-game losing streak. The meeting will be the ninth between the two programs, with Texas leading the series 8-0. Senior guard Shernise Robertson leads the Bearkats in scoring with 16.2 points a game, and senior center Angela Beadle leads the team with 8.3 rebounds per game. Sam Houston’s assistant coach, Stacy Stephens, played for the Texas Longhorns from 2000-2004 and was a special assistant for the women’s basketball team from 2012-2014.

2) Sophomore guard Ariel Atkins is coming off her first action of the season. In the Longhorn’s 61-50 win over Arkansas (3-8), Atkins scored five points in just six minutes. Atkins missed the first nine games of the season with an ankle injury. The Duncanville native averaged 10.4 points per game last season, and led the team in scoring during Big 12 play. She was also named the Preseason Big 12 Freshman of the Year (2014-2015) and named to the Big 12 All-Freshman team (2014-2015).

3) For the 10th time this season, Texas has a height advantage over its opponent. Senior center Imani Boyette is 6 feet 7 inches tall and hasn’t faced an opponent taller than her this season. She’s only faced one other player,Teaira McCowan of Mississippi State, who matched her height. The Bearkats’ tallest player is 6-foot-3. The Longhorns have outrebounded their opponents in nine of 10 games this season and average 44.3 rebounds per game. Their rebound margin of +13.6 ranks ninth in the nation.