Three things to know about Texas vs. Oklahoma State

2015-02-26_Womens_Basketball_VS_OSU_Marshall
Marshall Tidrick
  • Imani Boyette heating up in conference play

• Senior center Imani Boyette averages 12.8 points and 9.6 rebounds per game this season. She’s averaged 16.7 points and 14.0 rebounds per game in the Longhorns’ first three conference games. Boyette adds a season average of 3.1 blocks per game. In conference play, she has averaged 5.7 blocks per game. Boyette brought down 17 rebounds and blocked seven shots in Texas’ last game against Iowa State, both of which were season highs. The Longhorns have started 3-0 in conference play for the first time since 2004, and Boyette is a major contributor to that record.

Three-point shooters need to heat up

• Texas started the season by pouring in 3-pointers. In their first two games of the season, the Longhorns made a combined 17 threes. Over the next six games, Texas’ production from beyond the arc drastically dropped — the team made only 21 threes over that stretch. Heading into Wednesday’s game against Iowa State, Texas had made only 20 threes over a five-game span. Shots finally started to fall against the Cyclones — Texas went 11-of-22 from three-point range. Sophomore guard Brooke McCarty leads the team with five threes on seven shots. Senior guard Celina Rodrigo is a combined 4-of-7 from three over the last two games. McCarty and Rodrigo have been the Longhorns’ biggest threats from distance this season. They need to keep making shots to keep the winning streak intact.

Oklahoma State is tough at home

• Texas is winless in its last six trips to Stillwater, including a 66-60 loss last season. The Longhorns last win at Gallagher-Iba Arena came in 2009 — a 91-74 triumph over the Cowgirls. This season, Oklahoma State is a perfect 9-0 at home. The Cowgirls’ biggest home victory came over then-No. 4 Baylor. Oklahoma State held Baylor to 30.5 percent shooting and a season-low 45 points. Senior guard Brittney Martin totaled 26 of Oklahoma State’s 52 points against the Bears. Martin leads the Big 12 in scoring this season with 22.6 points per game. If Oklahoma State wins its seventh straight at-home against Texas, odds are Martin will have a lot to do with it.

No. 4 Texas (14-0, 3-0 Big 12) at Oklahoma State (12-2, 2-1)

• Saturday, 5 p.m., Gallagher-Iba Arena, 105.3 FM