Texas looking for win against Baylor

2015-02-19_Womans_Basketball_Vs
Michael Baez

No. 4 Texas’ last win against No. 6 Baylor (17-1, 4-1 Big 12) was on March 7, 2010.

Since then, the closest the Longhorns have come to defeating the Bears was a 70-68 loss last season on Feb. 8.

Despite being winless against Baylor, head coach Karen Aston said her team isn’t feeling the pressure of Sunday’s matchup.

“Everybody has asked if we feel pressure, but I really think, for the first time, it’s exciting,” Aston said. “We don’t feel anxious. We just feel excited about playing in the Frank Erwin Center in a big game.”

Texas has defeated three ranked opponents this season, including home wins against Mississippi State and Stanford. The Longhorns also join No. 1 UConn and No. 2 South Carolina as the only undefeated teams in Division I, which Aston said has generated more attention.

“People are starting to talk about women’s basketball in Austin again, and that is a huge thing,” Aston said. “You have to do some things to draw people’s attention, and I’m really excited about Sunday.”

The Longhorns are fifth in the nation in field goal percentage defense and eighth nationally in rebound margin (+13). The Bears rank third in field goal percentage and fourth in both rebound margin and scoring margin.

Though Baylor is a top-ranked opponent, sophomore guard Ariel Atkins said the team’s preparation will be the same as any other game.

“They’re a very good team and very well coached,” Atkins said. “We have respect for them, but we have to focus on this like it’s any other game.”

A win against Baylor will improve Texas’ conference record to 6-0, its best since joining the Big 12. Tip off is at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday.