Monthly Playlist: Four bands to watch in 2016

As classes commence and we settle back into old routines, spice up your first week of school with these four up-and-coming artists to watch in 2016.

Springtime Carnivore
After leaving indie rock group The Hush Sound, in which she sang and played the piano, Greta Morgan started her indie pop solo project, Springtime Carnivore, in 2014. Morgan’s echoey vocals drip with warmth and sentiment in “Two Scars” and “Find A New Game,” while “Collectors” and “Name on a Matchbook” bring a bouncy, upbeat vibe to her 14-track debut. According to Springtime Carnivore’s Facebook page, Morgan is wrapping up on a second album with an unknown release date.
Artists you might like: Alvvays, Best Coast, Feist

Springtime Carnivore :: Collectors from Eddie O'KEEFE on Vimeo.

PWR BTTM
Based out of Bard College in upstate New York, queer punk band PWR BTTM hit the music scene in 2014 with EP Cinderella Beauty Shop. A year later, the duo put out 11-track LP Ugly Cherries, which got the attention of NPR’s All Songs Considered podcast and won the duo a glowingly positive review from Pitchfork. With lyrics such as “I want a boy who thinks it’s sexy when my lipstick bleeds / I want a boy who can go all night without stopping / I want a boy knows exactly what he needs,” PWR BTTM’s lyrics speak honestly about sexuality, growing up and gender identity.
Artists you might like: Pansy Division, Limp Wrist, The White Stripes

Marian Hill
Synth-pop duo Marian Hill released their debut album Sway last summer before launching a tour across the U.S. Comprised of production artist Jeremy Lloyd, vocalist Samantha Gongol and often featuring saxophone cuts from jazz musician Steve Davit, Marian Hill adds a sultry, jazzy edge to traditional synth-pop music.
Artists you might like: Lorde, Sylvan Esso, Broods

Kaleo
After reaching relative fame in their homeland of Iceland, indie rock band Kaleo moved to Austin after signing with Atlantic Records. The group performed at South by Southwest, garnering considerable press from Esquire and NPR for their three released singles, and are currently touring around the country, hitting several notable music festivals.
Artists you will like: James Bay, Bon Iver, Vance Joy