Texas bounces back with close win at TCU

2016_01-17_Womens_Basketball_vs_Baylor_Joshua

No. 6 Texas found itself in a familiar situation trailing TCU by five points at halftime just three days after suffering its first loss of the season.

The Longhorns committed 11 turnovers and shot just 41.9 percent from the field in the first 20 minutes of the game.

But unlike Sunday’s contest, the Longhorns found a way back into the game. Texas rode a 14-10 third quarter to close the gap to one and then hit five of its last seven shots to come out of Fort Worth with a 65-58 Wednesday night.

Unlike previous games, the Longhorns (17-1, 6-1 Big 12) got off to a slow start. Texas led 4-3 with 6:47 left in the first quarter; the team wouldn’t lead again until midway through the fourth quarter. Meanwhile, TCU went on a 27-15 win to take a 30-19 lead with three minutes to go in the second quarter.

After the Longhorns closed the third quarter down by one, sophomore guard Brooke McCarty tied the game at 52 with a 3-pointer. Junior guard Brianna Taylor followed that with a free throw with 5:08 remaining to put Texas up 53-52.

The teams traded baskets until McCarty hit her third three of the game to give Texas a 58-54 lead. TCU’s sophomore guard Toree Thompson answered a Celina Rodrigo free throw with a 3-pointer to pull the Horned Frogs to within two, but that’s as close as TCU would get for the remainder of the game. The Longhorns sealed the deal with a 6-1 run.

Senior center Imani Boyette led all scorers with 19 points and 10 rebounds. McCarty added 11 points, while fellow sophomore guard Ariel Atkins chipped in a season-high 13 points off the bench.

Senior guard Zahna Medley and sophomore guard AJ Alix led TCU with 12 points apiece.

As a team, Texas shot 42 percent from the field, while holding TCU to 37 percent field goal shooting. Texas shot 12-of-20 from the free throw line, but made four-of-six in the final two minutes.

Texas also had 18 assists, 14 steals, 16 turnovers and nine blocks.

The Longhorns return home to face No. 19 Oklahoma (13-4, 4-2 Big 12) on Saturday at 11 a.m.