Longhorns earn second-straight shut out with 7-0 win over UTSA

2016-02-03_Womens_Tennis_vs_Incarnate_Word_Joshua

The Longhorns had no problems cruising to a second straight home win, shutting out UTSA 7-0 Sunday afternoon.

Texas (3–1) took the doubles point, winning two of the three matches. The 28th-ranked doubles tandem senior Breaunna Addison and sophomore Dani Wagland defeated Miriam Canudas and Jacobea Junger 6-3. Senior Lana Groenvynck and junior Neda Koprcina posted a 6-2 win over Nicole Karaklis and Alena Shichkova. Lina Hallgren and Charleen Tiwari beat Texas freshmen Daniella Roldan and Katie Poluta.  

The Longhorns swept UTSA (3–3) in singles with No. 16 Addison, Wagland, Groenvynck, Poluta, Roldan and freshman Chelsea Crovetti all beating their Roadrunner opponents. 

Addison won her first set against Karaklis 6-3. After losing the first game of the second set, Addison overtook Karaklis in the following five games to win the second set and match. 

Addison, a two-time All-American, is now 19-2 in singles. 

Hallgren squeaked out a first-set win 6-7 against Groenvynck, but Groenvynck followed with a 6-1 second set. The Longhorn senior then got a third-set win after a hard-fought battle.

This is Texas’ second straight shutout after last Wednesday’s 7-0 sweep over Incarnate Word. 

The Longhorns travel to Houston to face Rice on Saturday at George R. Brown Tennis Center.