Williams named wide receivers coach

Texas named 30-year coaching veteran Charlie Williams as the wide receivers coach on Monday afternoon.

The move was made three days after Jay Norvell’s departure for Arizona State.

“After coaching in the NFL for the past four years, I’m excited to get back on a college campus to help these young student-athletes grow and develop both as players on the field and students in the classroom,” Williams said in a statement.

Previously, Williams had been the wide receivers coach for the Indianapolis Colts from 2012 to 2015, where he coached Pro Bowl wideout T.Y. Hilton and future Hall of Famer Reggie Wayne.

Head coach Charlie Strong said Williams has a knack for getting the most out of young talent.

“[Williams] is a well-respected veteran coach who has been developing a lot of great receivers at the collegiate and NFL levels for a long time,” Strong said in a statement. “He’s a high-energy coach who we are really excited to be adding to our staff.”

Williams already has a goal set in mind for Texas’ young core of receivers — focusing more on the success of the team than the individual. Williams inherits a receiving corps headlined by freshman John Burt and sophomore Armanti Foreman.

“First and foremost, our receiver group is going to be about ‘we,’” Williams said. “We’ll work hard each and every day to get better, and it doesn’t matter who gets the credit.”