No. 24 Texas dominates No. 49 Rice 4-0

No. 24 Texas bounced back from a two-match road losing streak to defeat No. 49 Rice University on Sunday.

Texas moved up two spots in the latest ITA team rankings and re-entered the top 25 at No. 24 following its win over Stanford. On Sunday, six of their 11-man roster competed in the singles and doubles competition.

Texas struck first, scoring two consecutive wins in match play to take the early 1-0 lead.

Heading into singles match-play, the Longhorns’ winning ways continued. Freshman Harrison Scott dominated redshirt junior Tommy Bennett, 6-3, 6-0 at the No. 2 spot. Continuing the streak, at No. 4, freshman Rodrigo Banzer edged junior David Warren, 6-2, 6-1. Redshirt freshman Julian Zlobinsky secured the win for the Longhorns at No. 6 after defeating freshman Emanuel Llams in a three-set tiebreaker, 3-6, 6-0, 6-2. Texas took the win 4-0 with the remaining matches at the No. 1, 3 and 5 positions being suspended.

The Longhorns are now 6–5 for the season and 1–2 on the road.

This weekend began a stretch of seven matches being played on the road or at neutral sites over the next month for Texas. Texas closes the month of February next weekend at Wake Forest. The Longhorns will then play in Corpus Christi, Texas, before playing their next home contest on March 23 when they host Arkansas at Westwood Country Club.