Texas sweeps first day of Big 12 championships

2016-02-15_Big_12_Championship_Swimming_Mike
Mike McGraw

Carol Capitani, Texas women’s swimming and diving head coach, raised both hands in the air in excitement. The Longhorns’ 200-yard medley team eclipsed a two-year-old record and claimed a victory in the race. 

The win was one of five wins for the Longhorns on Wednesday, the first night of the Big 12 championships, at the Lee and Joe Jamail Swimming Center.

Texas’ dominant performance in the 200-meter medley relay was enough for the No. 8 fastest time in the nation this year, as junior Jordan Surhoff and sophomores Mimi Schneider and Rebecca Millard posted a time of one minute and 36.32 seconds. 

“My strategy was just to hit my walls and come off with a lot of power, and I hit my walls really well,” said Surhoff of her breaststroke leg.  “I wanted to make sure I hit my wall perfectly so Mimi [Schneider] would have a good start.”

The men and women took the 200-yard medley and the 800-yard freestyle relays, while the men also took the one-meter diving event.

No. 1 Texas Men’s Swimming and Diving team marks the seventh fastest time in 200-yard men’s medley, and the No.9 all-time mark at Texas. The medley gave the Longhorns its 12th straight Big 12 win in the event. 

“Our 200 medley relay was really good, and our ‘B’ medley relay was very good,” said men’s head coach Eddie Reese. “The 800 free relay was probably the best I’ve seen with four unshaved guys. I’d love for them to go a lot faster, but it’s not the right time to do that. We know we’re a lot better than that.” 

Senior Cory Bowersox took his second Big 12 title in the one-meter diving event, with junior Sean O’Brien following closely behind in second place. 

Texas finished the night with a win in the 800 freestyle relay in a time of 6:15.48, earning the fourth fastest time in the country and the fifth fastest time at UT-Austin. 

Despite the strong opening night, the men trail first-place West Virginia by 13 points going into the second day of competition. The women currently hold a 12-point lead over second place Kansas.