Live Blog: SXSW 2016 | Wednesday, March 16

sxsw2016liveblog+copy
Amy Zhang

Update (12 a.m.): Check out our recap of the MTV Woodies, which included performances by The Chainsmokers, A$AP Ferg, BØRNS, CHVRCHES and more.

• — Katie Walsh

Update (10:45 p.m.): Tonight, country band The Flatlanders was inducted into the Austin Music Awards Hall of Fame; check out our feature on the band here.​
Cat Cardenas

Update (10:30 p.m.): The Avett Brothers played tonight as part of the Universal Music Group and Marriott Rewards showcase. The North Carolina band turned a hotel ballroom into a high-energy romp through fan favorite songs and a surprising number of yet-to-be-released tunes that will appear on the Americana group's next album, due in June. While unfamiliar typically struggles to capture an audience, the crowd clapped, stomped and bobbed along in approval.

The set clocked in at a little more than an hour, closing with "Morning Song." While the band noticeably didn't play standbys such as "January Wedding," they easily maneuvered between electric guitar solos, string jam sessions and tender acoustic moments, such as Scott Avett's stripped-down solo rendition of "Murder in the City."
Even without an encore or hit-filled setlist, the band reminded fans why they liked the Avett Brothers in the first place: for their lively and engaging stage presence and, most of all, for a rollicking good time. 
Megan Hix

Update (9:55 p.m.): Ti West’s foray into the Western genre, “In a Valley of Violence,” is rousing, laugh-out-loud fun in spite of its weaknesses. Find out more about it in our review.

Update (8:45 p.m.): In anticipation of his performance at tonight’s Austin Music Awards, check out our feature on local musician Jimmie Vaughan here. Vaughan’s performance tonight will celebrate the rebirth of Antone’s —– the venue that gave him and Stevie Ray their start.

• — Cat Cardenas

Update (6:40 p.m.): Singer Pat Benatar and guitarist Neil Giraldo opened up about their marriage, songwriting strategies and the early days in their careers at their SXSW interview this afternoon. For five of the biggest revelations from their conversation, click here.

• — Megan Hix

Update (5:40 p.m.): First lady Michelle Obama led a discussion among female artists this morning about female empowerment, music and education. While supporting the White House’s Let Girls Learn initiative, she also let loose – even breaking into a Boyz II Men song. Read our recap here

• — Megan Hix

Update (5:30 p.m.): Actress America Ferrera spoke with Maria Teresa Kumar of civic engagement group Voto Latino on Tuesday about the Latino vote. To hear what the two had to say about getting Latino millennials engaged in politics read our write-up here.

• — Cat Cardenas

Update (5:20 p.m.): “Miles Ahead,” Don Cheadle’s directorial debut, premieres tonight at 8:00 p.m. at the Paramount Theatre. Check out our recap of his conversation with film critic David Edelstein on Tuesday here.

• — Sebastian Sada

Update (4:00 p.m.): Ethan Hawke delivers a heartfelt portrayal of jazz trumpeter Chet Baker in the 1960s-set biopic “Born to Be Blue,” which held its American debut at SXSW this week. Read our thoughts on the film here.

• — Megan Hix

Update (1:20 p.m.): “Accidental Courtesy” is a soulful documentary about Daryl Davis, a jazz musician who has befriend KKK members and turned them from racism. This film is a heartfelt look at the roots of racism and how Americans can dismantle it with love and friendship. Read our review here.

• — Charles Liu

Update (8 a.m.): The sun's coming up on another day of SXSW and we've got a full schedule. After flying in and dining at Salty Sow last night, Michelle Obama takes the stage at 11 a.m. to deliver her music keynote.

The weather will be a bit more mild today with highs in the low 80s.

Here's today's schedule:
6 a.m. – KGSR live broadcast at the W
10:45 a.m. – "Accidental Courtesy: Daryl Davis, Race & America" screening
11 a.m. – Michelle Obama music keynote
12:30 p.m. – SXSW interview with Pat Benatar
4 p.m. – MTV Woodie Awards
5 p.m. – "In a Valley of Violence" screening

— Megan Hix