Live Blog: SXSW 2016 | Thursday, March 17

sxsw2016liveblog+copy
Amy Zhang

Update (2:00 a.m.): Netflix’s “Pee-wee’s Big Holiday” premiered to much excitement at SXSW. However, the long-awaited entry in the dormant Pee-wee franchise doesn’t recapture the series’ former charm. Read our review here.

Update (8:45 p.m.): TV show Lucha Underground brought some of their wrestlers to South By Southwest. To find out who came out victorious, check out our event recap here.

Update (8:30 p.m.): Indietronica trio CHVRCHES closed the event, playing mostly old stuff interspersed with tracks off their most recent release. Frontwoman Lauren Mayberry apologized between songs for her guacamole burps while singing, citing her recent meal as the culprit.

“When in Texas, you go to get the best Tex Mex,” Mayberry said.

The lead vocalist worked the drum machine during “Empty Threat” and closed the show with crowd favorite “The Mother We Share.”

—Katie Walsh

Update (7:30 p.m.): All female trio MUNA took to the side stage last, accompanied by a male bassist and drummer. Midset, the trio broke into “Winterbreak,” their newest release, a slowed down version of the their other electronic tracks. Following “Winterbreak,” they launched into a new single out today, “So Special.”

Update (6:25 p.m.): At Spotify House, Allan Rayman’s set on the side stage kicked off with a girl in a red dress and a fox mask swaying silently, staring into the audience. When Rayman took the stage, the girl left to mingle with the audience, leaving the hip-hop artist to make the crowd dance to his infectious beats.

Pop rock group St. Lucia kept the energy up with their signature pulsing beats and guitar riffs, thrashing on stage as sweat dripped down each of their faces.

“I haven't sweat this much in a long time and I'm a sweaty mother fucker," Jean-Philip Grobler, the group’s lead singer, said. “You do not want to be my pants right now.”

For “Love Somebody,” Grobler took his microphone into the crowd, singing the hit among his fans. Despite a small computer issue near the end of their set, the band persisted, playing older songs like “All Eyes On You,” as well as tracks off their newest release like “Closer Than This.”

• — Katie Walsh

Update (6 p.m.): Iconic performance footage, laugh-out-loud insider stories and a pair of two live songs made the premiere of “A Song For You: The Austin City Limits Story” the perfect way to spend Thursday afternoon. Played to a full crowd at Paramount Theatre, the film follows the PBS television series from its country roots to more modern iteration. Read our review here.

• — Megan Hix

Update (5 p.m.): Over the years, Spotify House has earned a reputation for its long lines, free booze and consistently impressive musical lineup.

Earlier this week, the event welcomed Miguel, Vince Staples and Kacey Musgraves. Today, an even more star-studded lineup graced the stage, starting with POWERS.

Before they became their own act, funk-pop duo POWERS wrote hits for Selena Gomez and Christina Aguilera. Their set’s second song, “Hot,” reflected the day’s high, humid temperatures. By the time they sang the song’s last lyric — “The sun is gonna shine on through” — the sun had broken through the clouds.

The metaphorical sunshine continued with 18-year-old British rocker Will Joseph Cook on the side stage. It took a few songs for the young up-and-comer to warm up to the crowd, but by “Hearse,” he had found his groove within the two guitars, bass and drum set. He proved his vocal range in “Girls Like Me,” effortlessly transitioning from his normal low range to falsetto for the song’s chorus.

Nineteen-year-old Låpsley resumed on the outdoor main stage next, walking out with her three other band mates on the drums, guitar and synths. Even Låpsley sat down at the keyboards for “Painter,” an emotion-filled song with a hip-hop edge. Her haunting vocals were supplemented throughout by samples from other artists, creating an echoey effect. Mid-set, the London-based singer announced to the audience she had just gotten the outline of a longhorn tattooed on her forearm.

• — Katie Walsh

Update (2:30 p.m.): At last night's Austin Music Awards, Led Zeppelin frontman, Robert Plant, paid tribute to local radio host Paul Ray, and The Austin Chronicle recognized local musicians with awards ranging from band of the year to best rap group. To read up on some of the winners, read our write-up here.

• Cat Cardenas

Update (2 p.m.): The Daily Texan spoke with Garrett Borns, the man behind BØRNS, and found out how he got involved in music, who his dream collaboration would be with and why he loves South By Southwest. Click here to read the Q&A.

• — Katie Walsh

Update (1 p.m.): Celebrate the Irish today at one of Austin’s St. Patrick’s Day parties. Here is a list of five locations to check out today.

• — Katie Walsh

Update (12 p.m.): Happy St. Patrick’s Day, South By Southwest! Celebrate the Irish holiday at one of Austin’s day parties or wait until the sun sets and hit up a pub on Sixth Street. Stay tuned for a comprehensive list of St. Patrick’s Day parties.

Keep your sunblock at home because forecasts are predicting a nice change of pace today, with cloudy skies and temperatures between 70-80 degrees.

Here is today’s schedule:

2:30 p.m. — "A Song For You: The Austin City Limits Story” screening
6 p.m. — "Pee-wee’s Big Holiday” screening
8:15 p.m. — Judd Apatow and Friends panel

— Katie Walsh